How to set up BMO Online Banking
Setting up Online Banking allows for secure, 24/7 access9 to check your balances, pay bills, transfer money and more. You’re protected with our 100% Electronic Banking Guarantee.
Set up online banking for your debit card
Set up online banking for your credit card
How to sign in to BMO Online Banking
BMO Mobile Banking
Quickly and easily manage your money with our BMO Mobile Banking app.
- Quickly view balances and transactions on any of your accounts with a swipe of a finger
- Transfer funds between eligible accounts and send and receive an Interac e-transfer®§to anyone on your recipient list
- Pay bills now or later through future dated bill payment
- View credit card, recent transactions, eStatements, due dates and minimum payments
- Make a branch appointment in real time
- Assign nicknames to your most used debit or credit cards to sign in quickly and securely
- Search for nearby BMO branches and ATMs
- Touch ID access to the BMO Mobile Banking App on iPhone* 5S, 6 or 6 Plus.
Simply download the app from your app store to use BMO Mobile Banking. For other touch devices that do not have an app, you can access the BMO Mobile Banking through your browser by entering m.bmo.com.Travel notifications are no longer required
BMO uses advanced fraud detection systems to protect our customers from unauthorized transactions in Canada and around the world. Our fraud detection systems along with CHIP and PIN technology keep our customer’s credit card information secure while they are travelling.
BMO® Banking & InvestorLine App
Now, experience BMO's tablet app for iPad‡‡ to help you easily manage both your banking and self-directed investing needs – all with one app.
- Pay multiple bills at one time and set up future-dated bill payments
- Transfer funds between accounts, make cross-currency transfers, and send an Interac e-transfer®§
- View account balances and transaction history
- Access your eStatements and view cheque images
- Book in-branch appointments in real time
- Our smart money management tool to set budgets and savings goals and track how you’re doing.
- View your self-directed investing account information
- Access real-time quotes and interactive charts
- Trade equities, ETFs, options, mutual funds and GICs
Want to do your self-directed investing in addition to banking with BMO? It’s easy. Open an account today.
BMO brings you a secure and convenient way to pay using your phone and your BMO credit or debit card. Simply download the app from Google Play, add your BMO credit or debit card and start tapping at merchants that accept contactless payments!
Pay at the register or for in-app purchases quickly, easily and securely with your BMO debit and credit cards using your Apple‡‡ device.
BMO Branch Banking
With over 900 branches across Canada, we offer a full range of financial services.
- Open new bank accounts, add or change Bank Plans
- Access to on-site full service ATMs to handle everyday banking transactions
- Apply for BMO MasterCard® credit cards
- Find information on and apply for loans, mortgages & lines of credit
- Access to mutual fund investment advice available through partner referral8
BMO Telephone Banking
Access a wide range of financial services and products from anywhere you have access to a telephone, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week by calling
1-800-363-9992 1-800-363-9992.9 In addition to your day-to-day banking, such as paying bills, transferring funds, obtaining account balances, and a listing of recent transactions, use telephone banking to:
- Open new bank accounts
- Change your contact information
- Request a stop payment
- Re-order cheques
- Set up consolidated paper statements
BMO ATM Banking
BMO ATMs give you convenient access to cash withdrawals, up-to-the-minute account balances, deposits, transfers, electronic bill payments, and you can also get a printout of your most recent transactions.
You can use your BMO Debit Card to withdraw cash at BMO Cash ATMs, any ATM in Canada with the Interac®‡ symbol and throughout the world at any ATM with the Maestro®* or Cirrus®*.
All of our BMO ATMs have audio capability to help customers with vision loss complete their banking transactions.
Find the nearest one with the Branch/ATM Locator in our BMO Mobile Banking app.
Save yourself a trip to the branch or ATM and get immediate access to your money with direct deposit. Enjoy automatic deposits of funds (e.g. your payroll deposit and government payments) into your personal bank accounts. To set up direct deposits for payroll, download the BMO Direct Deposit form and follow the instructions.
All Federal Government payments by cheque, such as income tax refunds, GST rebates, Child Tax Benefit and Old Age Security are in the process of being phased out and will soon be available only by Direct Deposit.
To set up Direct Deposit for Government of Canada payments:
- Download the Government of Canada Direct Deposit form,
- Visit your local branch, or
- Speak to a representative at our Customer Contact Centre at 1-877-225-5266. 1-877-225-5266.
For more information, visit www.directdeposit.gc.ca
With Pre-Authorized Payments, you can set up your bills to be automatically paid from your BMO bank accounts on their due dates. You'll never miss a payment – even when you go on vacation.
To set up this service you'll need your bank account number, institution number and branch transit. You can contact the billing company and follow the instructions that they provide or download the Personal Pre-Authorized Debit Plan form and follow the instructions.
epost™ view bills
With epost, you can have your bills, statements and notices sent directly to your BMO Online Banking account and set up automatic payments from your personal bank accounts. For more information, visit epost.ca
BMO® PowerSwitch is a free service that helps you transfer your Pre-Authorized Payments from a different financial institution and set up new Pre-Authorized Payments from your new BMO chequing account and credit card.
Let PowerSwitch do the work for you
- Set up new Pre-Authorized Payments.
- Transfer your current automatic Pre-Authorized Payments to your new BMO account. This could include everything from utility bills and condominium fees to gym memberships and more†.
- Notifies your Pre-Authorized Billers of your switch so you don’t have to†.
- Make changes to your BMO credit card Pre-Authorized Payments due to lost, stolen, or expired credit cards in one location.
How to make the switch?
- Simply use BMO Online Banking and provide the details of your Pre-Authorized Payment. PowerSwitch will do the rest for you.
New to BMO?
Open a chequing account with a Bank Plan today.
Already a customer?
Log into BMO Online Banking, click on the “Payments & Transfers” tab and select “Add a Pre-Authorized Payment” to get started.
Connect with us
† Some billers, including financial institutions, do not accept the use of PowerSwitch service for transfers, including pay cheques. Financial institutions that do, may request confirmation of the transfer from the customers.
Overdraft protection is a simple way to cover unexpected shortfalls in your account and avoid the potential embarrassment of a declined transaction or the cost and inconvenience of a returned cheque.
Standard Overdraft Protection is best suited for you if your bank accounts tend to go into overdraft once a month or more.
- Coverage available from $500 to $2,50011
- Your account must have monthly deposits and a positive balance at least once every 90 days
- A $4.00 monthly fee applies11,12
Occasional Overdraft Protection offers peace of mind if your accounts do not regularly go into overdraft.
- Coverage available from $500 to $2,50011
- Your account must have monthly deposits and a positive balance at least once every 90 days
- There is no monthly fee. A $5.00 fee per transaction applies11,12
With Overdraft Transfer Service you can pre-arrange to have available funds transferred to your BMO account from one of your other BMO accounts, your BMO credit card or your BMO line of credit to cover any accidental overdraft13. A fee of $5 per transfer applies.14
BMO Debit Card
The BMO® Debit Card and BMO Debit Card for Business allow you to make purchases directly from your bank account in more ways. Interac Flash®† lets you pay faster for small purchases.40 And with Debit MasterCard®*, you can shop online or at international retailers, and pay directly from your bank account.
Debit MasterCard: wherever Debit MasterCard is accepted you can use your debit card to shop online or by telephone. You can also take your card with you when you travel abroad. The Debit MasterCard feature allows you to shop in-store outside of Canada, wherever MasterCard is accepted41
Interac Flash: Our debit cards are enabled with Interac Flash®†40, allowing you to pay quickly and securely in-store for purchases under $100. Simply hold your card to the terminal, no need to insert your card or enter your PIN.
You can confidently shop with your BMO Debit Card knowing you are protected from the unlikely event of unauthorized activity on your account.42 Our debit cards are equipped with the following security features:
- Embedded microchip that stores your information in a secure, encrypted format
- A single Interac Flash purchase can’t exceed $100, and there is also a $300 cumulative spend limit. Once this limit is reached, you’ll be asked to insert your card and enter your PIN to complete the transaction.
- Debit MasterCard is protected with the same safety and security features we offer on all our BMO MasterCard credit cards. Learn more
Have more questions about the BMO Debit Card or BMO Debit Card for Business? Visit our FAQs page to learn more.
®† Interac, Interac Flash and the Interac logo are trademarks of Interac Inc. Used under license. The Contactless Indicator is a trademark of EMVCo. LLC. Used under license. ®* MasterCard and the MasterCard Brand Mark are registered trademarks of MasterCard International Incorporated. Used under license.
Your account. My account. Our account. One fee. Save on banking fees by sharing one Bank Plan including your joint and individual bank accounts.
With our unique PlanShare feature, you and your partner or spouse can save on banking fees by sharing one Bank Plan that includes all your individual and joint bank accounts. And guess what? You only pay a single monthly Plan fee.
- Open up to 20 accounts (joint and/or individual) under one Bank Plan for one monthly Plan fee
- Bank together while maintaining confidentiality on your individual accounts
- Personalize your Plan by conveniently organizing your accounts in the way that best suits you and your partner’s needs, including nicknaming your accounts (like "trip" for that vacation to Florida you’re planning)
- Easily transfer funds between your joint and individual accounts
- Available with Premium, Performance, AIR MILES®† and Plus Plans
Already a customer? Book an appointment to learn how we can save you and your partner money
New to BMO? Open a Bank Plan with PlanShare now
You can confidently shop with your BMO Debit Card knowing you are protected from the unlikely event of unauthorized activity on your account.
BMO® debit cards are more secure than ever thanks to chip technology. Chip debit cards contain an encrypted microchip that is extremely difficult to counterfeit. Your personal identification number (PIN) provides even more protection.
You can further protect yourself from fraud by not sharing your PIN. Learn more at the Financial Consumer Agency of Canada.
Track your spending, saving, lending and investing with ease. All BMO statements give you the detailed information you need to take charge of your money.
Stay on top of your finances with BMO eStatements. eStatements are an exact replica of your paper statements and are securely accessible through Online Banking from anywhere at any time. See your transactions in online banking without having to wait for your paper statements to arrive. Plus, sign up for BMO Alerts to know when your statement is ready for viewing.
- Securely view and store your personal banking, credit card, line of credit, and mutual fund account statements online
- Register for eStatements through BMO Online Banking
Consolidated Paper Statements
- Get a consolidated summary of all your account balances, including a detailed list of your transaction activity, reported separately for each account
- Includes banking news, information and tips to improve your banking efficiency
- A paper statement fee may apply
Whether you're sending money across Canada or overseas to family for personal or business reasons, money transfers are simple and convenient with BMO Money Transfer Services. Our reliable technology means you can send money confidently almost anywhere.
As of March 1, 2017, now you can send FREE**, unlimited Interac e-Transfer®§ transactions! All BMO® Personal Everyday Bank Plans now include unlimited Interac e-Transfer transactions**. Easily split bills and pay back friends & family without using cheques or cash.
For example, you can:
- Split bills with your partner or roommates
- Pay a business or contractor for work they have done
- Pay friends for sports pools and fantasy sports groups
You can send an Interac e-Transfer transaction to anyone with an email address and a bank account in Canada. All you need is their email address. Money is deposited as soon as the recipient accepts the Interac e-Transfer transaction.
You now can also receive requests for money from other Interac e-Transfer®§ users which you can choose to accept or decline by clicking the appropriate option in the email notification you receive. If you choose to accept this request, the money will be automatically deposited into the requestors account and will not require a security question or answer.
Learn more about these new changes
Get started by signing in to BMO Mobile or Online Banking today. Sign in.
Sending money with Interac e-Transfer is simple. Need a refresher?
- In BMO Mobile banking find ‘Send Interac e-Transfer’ in the ‘Send Money’ section of the main menu. In BMO Online Banking, find ‘Interac e-Transfer’ under the ‘Payments & Transfers’ tab.
- Select an existing recipient or enter the email address for a new one.15
- Enter in security information to make sure your money only goes to who you want. If the person you are sending money to is registered for Autodeposit, you will be notified and will not be prompted to provide a security question and answer.
- The recipient receives the email notice and their identity is validated.
- The recipient chooses the deposit account and the money is deposited. If the recipient is registered for Autodeposit, the money will be deposited directly into the account associated with their email address. It’s that easy!
For Interac e-Transfer®*transactions, providing you do not exceed the limits assigned to your BMO Debit Card, you can send up to either $2,500.00 or $3,000.00 per 24 hours, $10,000.00 per seven days, or $20,000.00 per 30 days. You can receive up to a maximum of $10,000.00 per 24 hours, $70,000.00 per seven days or $300,000.00 per 30 days.
Don’t have the BMO Mobile Banking App? Download it now.
** The $1.00 service fee that may have applied when you use Interac e-Transfer has been eliminated for customers with an Everyday Bank Plan. The monthly Plan fee may still apply. Other transaction fees may apply if you have a Bank Plan that does not include unlimited everyday banking transactions. A cancellation fee may still apply when you cancel the transaction.
Our wire payment service is a quick, convenient and secure way to send and receive money.
- To send money, visit a BMO branch with the recipient's name, address and bank account number, along with the name and address of their financial institution.
- To receive money, provide the sender with your BMO customer information.
And now, you can send money to Portugal with our Global Money Transfer product not only via branch but also through ATM, online or by phone.
For information on wire transfer fees, please refer to the Agreements, Bank Plans, and Fees for Everyday Banking.
Please visit your branch to know more about applicable fees for in branch wire transfers and Global Money Transfer Products.
Western Union®# Money Transfer™#
We offer Western Union®# Money Transfers™# via Interac e-Transfer®§, through BMO Online Banking
Available to personal banking customers, the Western Union®# Money Transfer™# service allows you to send money within Canada and abroad to more than 200 countries and territories connected to the Western Union®# network.
The fee for a Western Union Money Transfer is $9.00 plus 1% of the amount being remitted. It is charged in Canadian Dollars and added to the total transfer amount.
Keep you informed and up-to-date on your personal banking transactions. Simply sign up for BMO Alerts and get the information you need, when you need it. Receive alerts by email or to your smartphone16 to find out when:
- Your account balance falls below your specified amount
- A withdrawal greater than your specified amount is made
- Deposits greater than your specified amount are made
- Unusual activity on your BMO Debit Card is suspected
- Your eStatement is ready to be viewed
Manage My Finances
Helps you view, track and manage your money – free for BMO Personal Banking and BMO MasterCard®* customers. You can:
- Track your spending habits
- Set budgets and savings goals
- Anonymously compare your income and spending to other BMO customers
- Review your net worth
- Monitor which days you spend the most
- Consolidate activity from all your BMO accounts
Sign in to Online Banking and click on the 'Manage My Finances' tab to access the BMO Manage My Finances tool.
For Chequing accounts only: Ordering cheques is easy and you can choose from a variety of designs and features to customize your cheques the way you like.
- Online: Sign in to BMO Online Banking and select the account that you would like to order cheques for in the left hand navigation. Click on 'Order cheques' in the sub-menu that will appear. Then follow the instructions provided.
- In person: Visit your local BMO branch
- 1-877-225-52661-877-225-5266 to speak with one of our customer service representatives
BMO Prepaid Travel MasterCard®
Get the convenience of cash, without having to carry cash. You can safely access funds wherever you are without interest charges.
Purchase more than 60 different currencies through BMO to save on fees and surcharges when travelling.
- Take advantage of fair exchange rates that are often better than airport and foreign exchange outlets
- Avoid searching for banks and currency exchanges while abroad
You can order up to $2,000 (Canadian) in U.S. dollars, British pounds sterling or Euros and have the funds delivered to you within 7 business days (courier fees apply).
To order foreign currency log into on-line banking or contact your local BMO Branch.