Like any parent or grandparent, you want to provide your child or grandchild with every advantage possible. The Headstart in Life Plan is a low-cost children's insurance that grows while they grow. It offers a basic amount of life insurance coverage now with the flexibility for them to buy more when they become adults.
|Initial coverage level chosen||Additional coverage available||Total coverage available at age 302|
|Initial coverage level chosen|
|Additional coverage available|
|Total coverage available at age 302|
- Flexible coverage options: $10,000, $20,000 or $30,000
- Opportunity for the child to get additional coverage between the ages of 21 and 30 with the Guaranteed Insurance Benefit3
- No medical exams are required to apply. You simply have to sign a declaration of health for your child or grandchild4
- After six years, the policy starts to build a cash value that increases annually and can be borrowed against or refunded in full if the policy is cancelled
- 30-day money-back guarantee
What's not covered
Benefits will not be paid if:
- You provide false, incorrect or incomplete information during the application process.
- The death of the child results from suicide within two years from the date the policy comes into effect. We will refund your premiums in this case.
If you die from an injury caused by an accident, we'll continue to pay the premiums unless the death results from:
- Suicide within two years from the date the policy comes into effect
- An injury suffered while under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- An injury suffered during a war or civil disorder
- An injury suffered during the commission or an attempt to commit, a criminal offence
Death must occur within 90 days of the accident.
This information is only a summary. Actual terms, exclusions and limitations are explained in the policy. A sample policy document for Headstart in Life can be viewed here.
Insurance issued by BMO Life Assurance Company
- If you, as the policy owner, die as a result of a covered accident while still making monthly payments and provided death occurs within 90 days of the accident, BMO Insurance will pay premiums on the initial Headstart in Life policy so your child or grandchild will continue to be covered, subject to what’s not covered.
- Assumes that all four offers of additional coverage, available on the 21st, 24th, 27th and 30th birthday of the covered child, were purchased at the same amount as the initial coverage level.
- The option must be elected within 30 days of the option date. The coverage amount chosen at each option date cannot be more than the sum insured under the initial Headstart in Life policy. The premium charged for the policy will be the rate in effect for the new policy on the option date.
- Coverage is guaranteed if you can sign a declaration of health that the child was not born prematurely (at less than 30 weeks), suffered no birth defect or injury, is not underweight for their age and was never diagnosed with inherited disorders, diabetes, heart disease, cancer, hepatitis, chronic kidney disease or leukemia or had a positive HIV test.