Exchange Traded Funds
The increasing popularity of Exchange Traded Funds (ETFs) is due in part to their simplicity. An ETF tracks as closely as possible the performance of its benchmark by purchasing all or a representative sample of the securities that make up the index. When investors purchase a unit of an ETF, they participate in the performance of the index. ETFs are listed on stock exchanges and are treated like a publicly-traded security – that is, you can buy or sell them throughout the trading day.
Advantages of ETFs:
ETFs tend to charge lower expenses than many other diversified investment options. Lower costs mean that more of your money is working over the long term.
An ETF investor can view the current trading price of an ETF at any time during the course of a regular trading day.
By aiming to replicate a specific index, an ETF essentially incorporates all or a representative sample of the securities that make up that index. This offers investors lower portfolio variability and can reduce the impact that volatile markets can have in terms of rising and falling prices, especially when compared to holding the individual securities within an index.
ETFs do not have to carry cash in anticipation of redemptions. This saves the fund trading costs and ensures it is fully invested at all times. It also helps minimize the ETF's tracking error against the underlying benchmark.
Types of ETFs to choose from
BMO ETFs help you broaden your investment exposure and diversify your risk.
BetaPro provides 76 exchange-traded funds.
iShares™ funds offer over 125 equity and fixed income funds worldwide.
Important Legal Notice: Commissions, trailing commissions management fees and expenses all may be associated with exchange traded funds/mutual fund investments. Please read the prospectus before investing. Exchange Traded Funds/Mutual funds are not guaranteed, their values change frequently and past performance may not be repeated.
Mutual funds are one of the most popular investment products in Canada. They are versatile, accessible and easy to use. They complement most investment strategies, providing you with the benefits of diversification, which helps manage risk over the long-term.
BMO InvestorLine offers over 9,000 mutual funds, covering a variety of asset classes, geographical locations and investment styles. To help you make informed decisions we offer access to research from Morningstar.ca so you can benefit from insightful analysis, fund rankings and up-to-the-minute news. You can also access monthly podcasts and quarterly commentaries from industry expert Lipper.
Explore your mutual fund options
BMO Mutual Funds - Series D
Created specifically for self-directed investors, this suite of low-fee mutual funds gives you:
- low management fees and investment minimums of only $500
- professional fund management
- no commission charges to buy or sell
- a way to diversify your portfolio with a comprehensive selection of mutual funds that cover a variety of asset classes and fund categories
BMO Mutual Funds - Series D is available exclusively to BMO InvestorLine clients.
BMO & BMO Guardian Funds
BMO & BMO Guardian Mutual Funds are a comprehensive suite of wealth management solutions designed to address the evolving needs of Canadian investors.
We offer two professionally managed portfolio programs:
Consider either of these portfolio programs if you're looking for:
- tax-deferred growth potential
- tax-efficient monthly cash flow from Series T6
- tax-free switching between other SelectClass Portfolios and classes of BMO Global Tax Advantage Fund Inc.
- automatic portfolio rebalancing
- professional money management
Each BMO SelectClass Portfolio is a class of BMO Global Tax Advantage Funds Inc. BMO Global Tax Advantage Funds Inc. is a separate entity managed by BMO Investments Inc. a financial services firm and separate entity from Bank of Montreal.
Learn more about mutual funds available through BMO InvestorLine
Search, buy and sell a wide range of Canadian or U.S. fixed income products such as bonds, debentures and money market instruments online.
Quick Picks helps you cut through the clutter and provides you with a representative sample of the most popular fixed income products.
Use our Inventory Search tool to look through our entire fixed income inventory to select the specific Canadian or U.S. fixed income product that is right for you.
Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) purchases
Purchase a GIC from either BMO Financial Group or from a list of the best 1 to 5 year rates currently available from other issuers.
Cashable GICs may be fully redeemed online within the cashable period up to 30 calendar days prior to maturity.
Learn more about fixed income products
We offer a broad range of fixed income products that allow you to customize your portfolio.
- Money Market Products
- Bankers Acceptances (BAs)
- Commercial Paper (CP)
- Government of Canada Treasury Bills (GOC T-Bills)
- Guaranteed Investment Certificates (GICs)
- Bonds and Debentures
- Federal and Provincial Government Bonds
- Strip Coupons and Residual Bonds
- Corporate Bonds
Tax-Free Savings Accounts
Tax-Free Savings Accounts (TFSAs) provide a tremendous opportunity to save for your financial goals.
As a registered plan created to help Canadians save tax-free in addition to RSPs, TFSAs have a broad appeal to many. Their role in your financial plan will depend on your age, taxable income and financial objectives.
More about TFSAs:
- As of January 1, 2013, the annual TFSA contribution limit is $5,500, an increase of $500 from previous years.
- Any unused contribution room can be carried forward for use in future years.
- If you do not already have a TFSA, you may be eligible to contribute up to $36,500 ($5,000 per year from 2009 to 2014 plus $5,500 for 2015)
- Contributions are not tax-deductible for income tax purposes; however your investments grow tax-free inside your account.
- Withdrawals from your TFSA can be made tax-free for any purpose at any time, depending on the investments held within your account.
Cash or margin
For individual or joint accounts
Registered Education Savings Plan (RESP)
For individual or family accounts
Tax-Free Savings Account
For individual Tax-Free Savings Accounts
For corporations, sole proprietorships, partnerships, investment clubs, societies or churches, trusts or estates.
Retirement Savings Accounts
Provide for your retirement savings in a tax-sheltered accounts, including:
Self-directed Registered Retirement Savings Plans:
- Retirement Savings Plans (RSP)
- Spouse/Common-law partner RSPs
Locked-in Retirement Plans:
- Locked-in Retirement Accounts (LIRA)
- Locked-in Retirement Savings Plans (LRSP)
- Restricted Locked-in Retirement Savings Plans (RLSP)
LRSPs are used for funds legislated in:
- British Columbia
- Nova Scotia
- Prince Edward Island
- Northwest Territories
- Federally (regardless of province)
LIRAs are used for funds legislated in:
- New Brunswick
Retirement Income Accounts
Retirement income accounts provide you with income from a tax-sheltered account during your retirement years. Your retirement savings accounts can be converted to one of the appropriate options below.
Self-direct Registered Retirement Income Funds:
- Retirement Income Funds (RIF)
- Spouse/Common-law partner RIFs
- Life Income Funds (LIF)
- Prescribed Retirement Income Funds (PRIF) [Saskatchewan and Manitoba regulated]
Locked-in Income Plans:
- Locked-in Retirement Income Funds (LRIF)
- Restricted Locked-in Retirement Income Funds (RLIF) [Federally regulated]
It's easier to invest when you have access to your funds. With AccountLink your trading account can be accessed as a chequing account with full banking privileges, so your money is always readily available. And by combining all of your investing and banking needs into a single account, you'll only get one statement detailing your transactions every month.
With AccountLink, your trading account lets you do everything a regular bank account does:
- write cheques
- deposit or withdraw money by ABM
- bank by telephone, online or in branch
- make debit card purchases
- pay bills or set up automatic withdrawals and deposits
If you already have a BMO Bank of Montreal Everyday Banking Plan, you'll enjoy free banking transactions by having your AccountLink service added to your existing bank plan.
Get started today
Ready to open an account?
Complete our application and start online investing
Open an account