Get up to $5,000 cash back.*
When you’re ready to open your stock trading account, do it easily online. See below for what you’ll need to get ready and what to expect. The application should take about 20 minutes.
Choose your BMO InvestorLine Self-Directed account
Gather your documents
- your Social Insurance Number
- One piece of valid photo identification (including one photo ID ) ?
Acceptable forms of photo ID: any Federal or Provincial government-issued photo ID (e.g. valid passport, valid driver’s license, Canadian Citizenship card, government-issued Resident card, Provincial health card). Please note Provincial health cards issued in Manitoba, Ontario or Prince Edward Island are not accepted due to privacy legislation.
Acceptable forms of secondary ID: examples include valid credit card, bank card or birth certificate.
- employment and banking information ?Employment info: your job title and job industry, plus current employer’s name, address and phone number
- a minimum of $5000 in available funds to deposit or transfer to your new account after it’s been approved (TFSA or RESP have no minimum balance requirements)
Start your application!
When you’ve completed the application, print it out, sign it and send it in or visit a local BMO branch, along with a photocopy of 1 piece of government issued photo ID. Once your account has been approved, you’ll get your Welcome to BMO InvestorLine email, which will guide you through setting up your account.
Open an account
Funding your online trading account and more
Once your account is approved, you can move over your funds in the following ways:
- transfer funds from your BMO bank account online or at a branch
- make a deposit from a non-BMO financial institution via bill payment
- transfer an existing investment account from another financial institution
To open a corporate account, use the same online application form as listed above, expect select Non-Personal account, then Corporate account in your answers.
Additional documents you’ll need include a Corporate Profile from the last six months, plus two pieces of valid ID for the Authorized Trading Officer, Beneficial Owner and Guarantor (where applicable).
Open a corporate account
For non-corporate, non-personal accounts, you’ll need to print out the required form and submit it in person. These accounts include:
- Investment Club
- Formal Trust
- Testamentary Trust
- Charitable Organization or Private Foundation
- Not for Profit
Get your form