With the BMO® Mobile Banking App, completing everyday transactions is quick and easy. So you can get on with your day, your way. As always, BMO Mobile Banking is safe and secure, so you can confidently bank on the go1.
Download the BMO Mobile Banking App
About BMO Mobile Banking
To provide the best experience, BMO Mobile Banking supports touch devices on Apple iOS 5 +, Android 4+ and BlackBerry 10 smartphones where you can:
- Quickly view your bank account, credit card, loan, line of credit, mortgage, and investment balances directly from your Account Summary. View transaction history on any of your accounts with a simple swipe of your finger.
- Transfer funds between all of your eligible accounts. Send and receive
Interac e-Transfers®* to anyone on your recipient list or add new recipients on the go.
- Pay bills immediately or setup a future-dated bill payment. Add or edit existing payees, and review your payment history.
- Get the information you need anytime you choose. View credit card statement balances, due dates, minimum payments and funds on hold for bank accounts.
- Book a branch appointment in real time on your smartphone. It’s fast and easy.
- Travelling abroad? Setup a travel notification for your BMO MasterCard® † to ensure you’ll have uninterrupted access to your credit card while you are away so we’ll know to expect out-of-country charges on your credit card.
- Save your most used BMO Debit Cards or BMO personal credit cards with nicknames to sign in quickly and securely.
- Search for nearby BMO branches and ATMs
For other touch devices that do not have an app, you can access the BMO Mobile Banking through your browser by entering m.bmo.com.
As always, your money is protected by the 100% Electronic Banking Guarantee for personal banking customers. In the event of an unauthorized transaction, we'll reimburse you 100% for any resulting losses.
®* Interac, the Interac logo and Interac e-Transfer are registered trade-marks of Interac Inc. Used under license.
®† MasterCard is a registered trade-mark of MasterCard International Incorporated. Bank of Montreal is a licensed user.
®‡ iPhone and iPod touch are registered trade-marks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. App Store is a service mark of Apple Inc.
®** The Trade-mark BlackBerry and BlackBerry World are owned by Research In Motion Limited and is registered in the United States and may be pending or registered in other countries. Bank of Montreal is not endorsed, sponsored, affiliated with or otherwise authorized by Research In Motion Limited.
TM†* Android and Google Play are trade-marks of Google Inc.
Security tips for BMO Mobile Banking
BMO Mobile Banking security is guaranteed by the 100% Electronic Banking Guarantee for personal banking customers. However, there are a few things you can do to help minimize fraud and protect your information.
- Password-protect your mobile device – Many new mobile devices have built-in password protection. Enabling this option will protect your device if it is ever lost or stolen.
- Never store confidential information on your mobile device - Keep personal confidential information like a password, SIN, or your PIN off your device. You can rest assured that with BMO Mobile Banking, no confidential information is ever stored on your mobile device.
- Report a lost or stolen mobile device immediately - If your mobile device is ever lost or stolen, alert your mobile service provider as soon as possible.
- Don't hack or modify your mobile device - Modifying the software on your device can leave you vulnerable to viruses and spyware. Protect your device by using it only in accordance with the manufacturer's recommendations.
- Disable Bluetooth when not in use - While Bluetooth makes it easy to talk hands-free, hackers can take advantage of the always-on, always-discoverable setting. Limit your exposure by disabling Bluetooth when it is not actively transmitting information or switch your Bluetooth device to hidden mode.
To get answers to most common security questions, please visit the FAQs section.
Sign up for BMO Alerts
BMO Alerts keep you informed and up-to-date on your personal banking transactions. Simply sign up for BMO Alerts and get the information you need when you need it sent directly to your email address or mobile phone number via text message1.
With BMO Alerts, you can find out when:
- Your account balance falls below your specified amount
- A withdrawal greater than your specified amount is made
- Deposits greater than your specified amount are made
- Unusual activity on your BMO Debit Card is suspected
- Your eStatement is ready to be viewed in BMO Online Banking
Just sign in to Online Banking, select the My Profile and Preferences tab, then My Alerts and follow the easy on-screen instructions.
Not an Online Banking customer? Register today.
BMO Mobile Banking Frequently Asked Questions
How do I start using BMO Mobile Banking
To use BMO Mobile Banking, you must be registered for BMO Online Banking. If you’re not already registered for BMO Online Banking, you can register now. Once your registration is complete, download the BMO Mobile Banking App on your mobile device. This can be done from your App store (i.e. iTunes App Store, Google Play, BlackBerry World) by searching for ‘BMO Mobile’ and then downloading our app. For other touch devices that do not have an app, you can access the BMO Mobile Banking through your browser by entering m.bmo.com and then simply signing in with your BMO Debit Card, BMO Debit Card for Business or BMO MasterCard along with your Online Banking password.
How secure is my information when I use BMO Mobile Banking?
Your security is guaranteed by the 100% Electronic Banking Guarantee for personal banking customers. If an unauthorized transaction is conducted through your BMO Mobile Banking service, we'll reimburse you 100% for any resulting losses to those accounts. Learn more about what you can do to help minimize fraud and protect your information.
How confidential is my account information?
Like BMO Online Banking, you must provide your BMO Debit Card, BMO Debit Card for Business or your BMO MasterCard number and password to login to BMO Mobile Banking.
BMO Mobile Banking uses encryption to keep your information secure and confidential and does not store any confidential information (or cookies) on your mobile device. Additionally, BMO Mobile Banking does not send any confidential security information about you or your accounts to or from your mobile device.
What information is stored on my mobile device?
With BMO Mobile Banking, no confidential information is ever stored on your mobile device.
Note: Do not use notepad programs or your address book to store your mobile banking password(s) on your mobile device. Commit your password(s) to memory to prevent theft.
Is BMO Mobile Banking "encrypted"?
Encryption scrambles the information sent to and from your mobile device to prevent the risk of a third-party "listening" in and stealing your information. You can be confident that all information sent and received by BMO Mobile Banking is encrypted.
Can I get a computer virus from BMO Mobile Banking?
No. BMO Mobile Banking employs special security features to ensure the data sent to your mobile device is free from malicious software like viruses.
Do I have to worry about phishing on my mobile device?
Phishing emails and texts are fake messages trying to get you to reveal your customer account information.
With ANY type of mobile banking service you should follow these guidelines:
- Make sure you know who has sent you a message – if in doubt, delete it.
- Never click on any links if you are not sure of the sender.
- Never send any confidential information to anyone – the bank will never send you unsolicited messages to confirm your account details.
What if someone else tries to use my mobile banking service?
Because there is no confidential information stored on your mobile device, your accounts can't be accessed by someone else once you have closed your mobile banking session. Moreover, if you enabled password protection on the device, it would have to be unlocked for someone to be able to access any information on your device.
For BMO Mobile Banking, the other person would have to know your BMO Debit Card, BMO Debit Card for Business or BMO MasterCard number and Online Banking password to gain access to your account(s) through your mobile device. Never share this information with anyone and never store this information on your mobile device.
What if I replace my lost mobile device or upgrade to a new one?
BMO Mobile Banking has been set to timeout your session after 10 minutes of inactivity. As soon as you realize you have lost your mobile device, contact your wireless telecommunication service provider to suspend your service. Since BMO Mobile Banking does not store any confidential information on the mobile device, the risk of account fraud is reduced.
If you replace or upgrade your mobile device and you access mobile banking through the mobile web, nothing needs to be done. If you access mobile banking using the BMO Mobile Banking App for iPhone† mobile device, AndroidTM mobile device or BlackBerry†† smartphone, all you need to do is download the app to your new mobile device.
Note: Never store confidential information or passwords on your mobile device. For added security, enable the "LOCK" feature on your mobile device.
What happens if I change my mobile device number?
Absolutely nothing. Your BMO Mobile Banking service will not be impacted by a change to your phone number. You can continue to bank just like you did before.
What happens if I change my mobile device service plan?
In most cases, changes to your service plan will not impact your BMO Mobile Banking service. However, any changes to your data plan or text messaging plan could impact costs associated with accessing the web or receiving text messages. Contact your service provider to find out more.
What happens if I change carriers, but keep my mobile device number?
BMO Mobile Banking is supported by all Canadian mobile service carriers. Changes to your carrier will not impact your BMO Mobile Banking service. You can continue to bank just like you did before the change.
Do I need a special type of mobile device? Will this cost me more money?
Mobile Banking supports touch devices on Apple iOS 5 +, Android 4+ and BlackBerry 10 smartphones. Other smart touch devices can access m.bmo.com. For BMO Mobile Banking, your mobile device has to support web browsing and usually requires a data plan as part of your service.
Can I use BMO Mobile Banking when I am travelling and roam to different carriers?
Yes, but you should check to see if your wireless telecommunications service provider charges roaming fees for your service plan. Alternatively, if your device has WiFi capability this may also be also be used to access BMO Mobile Banking from your smartphone.
Can anyone use BMO Mobile Banking?
Almost anyone. BMO Mobile Banking customers must be registered with BMO Online Banking. If you're not currently registered for Online Banking with BMO, you can register now.
Are there additional fees or service charges related to using BMO Mobile Banking?
BMO does not charge additional fees for mobile banking. This is a free service courtesy of BMO. However, your wireless service plan may have additional fees associated with web browsing from your mobile device. Contact your wireless service provider or review your mobile contract to find out more.
Who can I contact for technical support?
If you have technical problems, please contact us from within Online Banking via our secure email or call us at 1-800-363-9992 and our Customer Contact Agents will be pleased to assist you. Our French Customer Contact Agents can be reached at 1-800-361-6681.
†† Research In Motion, RIM, the RIM logo, BlackBerry®, the BlackBerry® logo, SureType and SurePress are registered with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and may be pending or registered in other countries - these and other marks of Research In Motion Limited are used under license.
TM AndroidTM is a trademark of Google Inc.