Start by asking for referrals from friends or family, or go to open houses to meet some of the agents working in your neighbourhood.
Keep the following points in mind when making your decision:
- Look for someone who specializes in your preferred area, or type of housing (especially if you’re looking for a condo)
- Choose an experienced, full-time agent licensed by your province. This ensures that the agent can legally represent you
- Talk to the agent to make sure you will work well together — you’ll be spending a lot of time in one another’s company
- Make sure your agent works with the Multiple Listing Service®## (MLS®##). Even though you can access the MLS public site, an agent has access to much more information to help you pre-screen homes, compare prices and check listing and sales prices
- Ask about hours and availability, to be sure the agent will be able to attend viewings at times that are convenient to you
- Talk to the agent’s previous clients to make sure they were satisfied with the service