Skip Navigation
Mobile Navigation Menu Button

Select Region/Language

Navigation Skipped

What to bring to an everyday banking appointment

We look forward to seeing you. To make it easy for you, we’ve created a "what to bring" list
to help you prepare for your upcoming everyday banking appointment.

Let's go mobile!


Remember to bring your smartphone to your appointment. Once your new everyday banking account is ready, we can also set up BMO Mobile Banking for you. Enjoy the convenience and security of banking anytime, anywhere. Your personal bank accounts are backed by our 100% Electronic Banking Guarantee.


Plus if you bring a bill with you, we’ll walk you through how to easily set up bill payments.






You will need to bring one piece of government issued, photo identification with you. Your photo identification must be valid, original, and in good condition.


The eligible piece of identification must:


  • Contain a photo; AND
  • Be issued by a government agency, including a federal government, (for example, Canada, the United States or other foreign government), or by a province/territory/state level government.



List of Eligible Photo Identification:

  • Certificate of Canadian Citizenship
  • Certificate of Indian Status issued by the Government of Canada
  • Driver’s licence1
  • Firearms Licence
  • Government Issued ID Card or Document
  • Immigration Canada Documents2
  • NEXUS Card
  • Passport
  • Permanent Resident Card
  • Provincial or territorial health insurance card3




If you cannot provide an eligible piece of photo identification, and are opening a personal chequing or savings account only, you may provide two eligible pieces of identification from the lists below.


Both can be from List A - Primary Identification; or one piece can be from List A - Primary Identification and the other piece from List B - Secondary Identification.

Primary and Secondary Identification

  • List A - Primary Identification

  • Birth certificate issued in Canada
  • Immigration Canada Documents2
  • Old Age Security Card issued by the Government of Canada
  • Provincial or territorial health insurance card3
  • Social Insurance Number (SIN) card issued by the Government of Canada4

  • List B - Secondary Identification

  • Bank card or ATM card issued by a Canadian financial institution that has your name embossed and contains your signature
  • Credit card issued by a Canadian financial institution that has your name embossed and contains your signature5
  • Bank Letter of Introduction issued by Canadian financial institution
  • Canadian National Institute for the Blind card with your photograph, name and signature
  • Employee Identification Card with your photograph and name

Tax Information


If this is your first everyday banking account with us, we will also need you to confirm where you are a tax resident6 - whether in Canada, the United States, or other international countries. You will need to bring your Taxpayer Identification Number7 for each jurisdiction where you are a tax resident. For example, if you are a tax resident of Canada, your Tax Identification Number is a Social Insurance Number issued by the Government of Canada.


Have Questions?

If you have any questions about the identification listed above, please give us a call.

  1. Temporary Alberta Driver’s Licence is not accepted.
  2. Immigration Canada form IMM 1000, IMM 1442 or IMM 5292 or IMM 5688
  3. Where permitted by law. Currently Manitoba, Ontario, and P.E.I. health cards are prohibited from being used as identification anywhere in Canada.
  4. A Social Insurance Number letter cannot be accepted.
  5. Pre-paid cards cannot be accepted.
  6. Generally, if the laws of the jurisdiction where you live or work require you to pay tax, you’re considered to be a tax resident of that place. Please note that you can be a tax resident of more than one jurisdiction. Still unsure? Reach out to your tax specialist to find out.
  7. A taxpayer identification number is a unique identifier made of letters or numbers that the jurisdiction assigns to an individual. The jurisdiction uses the taxpayer identification number to administer its tax laws to identify the individual. For additional information on tax identification numbers, please visit this website for the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development or ask your tax specialist.