Newcomers to Canada
At BMO, we know the journey to a new life in Canada can be hard, so we’re helping to make your arrival easier.
Get our Performance Plan and a small safety deposit box2 free1 for the first year.
Limited time: Get $100 when you bank with BMO!*
New to Canada?If you’re a permanent resident or foreign worker that arrived in Canada within the last 5 years, you’re eligible for the NewStart discounted banking program!
To open a chequing account with the NewStart discount banking program, visit any branch and bring the following:
1. Canadian Permanent Resident Card or Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM 5292 or IMM 5688) or work permit (IMM 1442)
2. One piece of valid, government issued, photo identification such as a passport or a Canadian driver’s licence.
More information on valid Photo Identification
2018 Newcomers to Canada $100 Chequing & Savings Account Offer
Terms and Conditions:
From April 20, 2018 to August 31, 2018, earn a $100.00 cash bonus when you open a new Canadian Dollar Primary Chequing Account. To qualify for the $100.00 Cash Bonus you must:
1. Be a newcomer to Canada who has arrived in Canada within the last five years and present your Canadian Permanent Resident Card or Confirmation of Permanent Residence documentation or work permit (IMM1442) as proof of your status as a landed immigrant, permanent resident, or a foreign worker;
2. Open a new Canadian Dollar Primary Chequing Account (the “Chequing Account”) with a Performance Plan (the “Eligible Plan”) under the BMO NewStartTM Discounted Banking Program by August 31, 2018 at any BMO branch and keep the account open, in good standing (for example, your Chequing Account must not be in an unauthorized overdraft). and remain in the Eligible Plan with the BMO NewStartTM Discount until August 31, 2019;
3. Open a new Eligible Canadian dollar Savings Account (the “Savings Account”). Eligible Savings Accounts include Premium Rate Savings Account, Savings Builder Account or a Smart Saver Account by August 31, 2018;
4. Make a deposit of any amount into the Chequing Account and a deposit of any amount into the Savings Account by August 31, 2018;
5. Set up a recurring direct deposit from your employer or pensions into the Chequing Account and have at least one (1) direct deposit transaction credited to the Lead Chequing Account by September 28, 2018;
6. Set up a recurring Pre-Authorized Debit such as a preauthorized bill payment from the Chequing Account and have at least one (1) pre-authorized debit clear your Chequing account by September 28, 2018. A Pre-Authorized Debit that is debited and returned as non-sufficient funds, payment stopped, or returned as unauthorized is excluded.
- Customers who have an existing Canadian or U.S. Dollar Primary Chequing Account, Canadian or U.S. Dollar Interest Chequing Account, BMO Sobeys AIR MILES®† Chequing Account, BMO Club Sobeys Chequing Account, BMO IGA AIR MILES Chequing Account (each an “Existing Chequing Account”), or any existing BMO Savings Account are not eligible.
- Customers who closed an Existing Chequing or Savings Account between January 1, 2017 – August 31, 2018, and subsequently open a new Chequing or Savings Account are not eligible.
- For Joint Accounts: If two customers make a Chequing or Savings Account joint, no bonus will be paid if either customer has an Existing Chequing or Savings Account or closes an Existing Chequing or Savings Account between January 1, 2017 – August 31, 2018 and subsequently opens a new Chequing or Savings Account.
- Employees of Bank of Montreal and those with whom such employees are domiciled.
Other: Limit of one (1) $100.00 Cash Bonus Offer per customer. Customers who share an eligible Chequing Account and Savings Account with a Plan or open a joint Chequing Account and Savings Account with a Plan will only qualify to receive one (1) $100.00 Cash Bonus.
To remain eligible, your Chequing and Savings Accounts must be open, your Chequing account must be in an Eligible Plan with the BMO NewStartTM Discount, your Savings Account must be an Eligible Savings Account, and your Chequing and Savings Accounts must be in good standing at the time the Cash Bonus is paid. If you change to a Plan other than an Eligible Plan or change to a Savings Account other than an Eligible Savings Account you will no longer qualify for the Cash Bonus. The Cash Bonus will be paid to the Eligible Lead Chequing Account of eligible customers by December 31, 2018.
The Chequing Account and Savings Account must remain open until August 31, 2019. Customers who:
(i) close their Chequing Account
(ii) close their Savings Account
(iii) change to a Plan other than an Eligible Chequing Plan
(iv) change to a Savings Account other than an Eligible Savings Account (the “Prohibited Actions”) prior to that date will no longer be eligible for the Cash Bonus.
If you perform a Prohibited Action, and the Cash Bonus has been paid, BMO reserves the right, in its sole and absolute discretion, to withdraw the full amount of the Cash Bonus from your Chequing Account or Savings Account.
This offer cannot be combined with any other banking offer or promotion not explicitly included above, for example, Kids, Teens, Students/Recent Graduates, BMO Perks at Work and Canadian Defence Community Banking. This offer may be changed or withdrawn at any time without notice.
™ Trade-mark of Bank of Montreal.
®† Registered trademark of AIR MILES International Trading B.V. Used under license by LoyaltyOne, Co. and Bank of Montreal.