Canadian citizen. U.S. visitor.
It all comes together with BMO cross-border banking.
Banking that’s on your side north and south of the border.
How Canadian-issued bank accounts work with cross-border banking
Want to skip the foreign transaction fees? Consider a Canadian BMO U.S. Dollar Account4. You can use it to save up for your next trip down south or to transfer funds to your U.S.-based account. Even better- you can open a BMO U.S. chequing or savings account under your existing BMO Everyday Bank Plan – at no extra cost.
Did you know…
- A Canadian-based BMO U.S. Dollar Account is primarily for saving U.S. dollars in Canada.That means you’ll want to take out your money before you head to the U.S. or move it over to your BMO Harris personal chequing account through BMO Online Banking.
- A U.S.-based BMO Harris personal chequing account lets you take care of your everyday banking needs in the U.S.Whether you need to withdraw cash, make deposits, transfer funds, or pay bills, this is the best option for Canadians who spend a lot of time in the U.S.
- BMO Harris has a variety of savings and high-interest money market accounts to help you grow your savings.If you spend a lot of time in the U.S., you might want to consider one of these accounts so you can earn interest on your U.S. dollars.
- To set up a U.S.-based bank account as a Canadian citizen, you may be required to provide financial or other personal information.This information may be more than what is typically required to open an account in Canada due to U.S. regulatory requirements.
Why choose BMO
Here are a few ways we can help you enjoy your cross-border lifestyle.
from your BMO Wealth Professional.
with a Canadian BMO Private Banking or U.S. BMO Harris debit card from the largest ATM network in the U.S. with over 40,000 Allpoint® Network ATMs throughout the country.1, 2
wherever and whenever you want with online or mobile7 banking, and roughly 600 BMO Harris branches and 1,300 BMO Harris ATMs in eight States including Florida and Arizona.
with a wide variety of BMO Harris Bank Mastercard® credit cards.
with the help of a mortgage banker specially trained in cross-border mortgages.
FAQs for Bank Accounts and Day-to-day Banking
- Do I need a U.S. address to open an account with BMO Harris?No, you can use your Canadian address if you don’t have a U.S. address.
- Can I view my BMO and BMO Harris accounts together online?Yes, you can view your BMO and BMO Harris accounts together with BMO Harris Total Look® (which is available through BMO Harris Online Banking). While you can’t make transactions in BMO Harris Total Look, you can view all of your accounts in one place.
- Can I access my Canadian BMO accounts at ATMs in the U.S.?You can access your BMO Canadian dollar accounts to withdraw U.S. cash at BMO Harris ATMs. Current foreign exchange rates will apply. You can’t access funds from BMO U.S. Dollar Accounts at BMO Harris ATMs. If you are a Canadian BMO Private Banking client and/or have a BMO Harris bank account you can also make free, unlimited withdrawals from over 40,000 Allpoint® Network ATMs located throughout the U.S.1, 2
- How can I transfer funds from my BMO U.S. Dollar Account to my BMO Harris account?You can do so for free through BMO Online Banking, as long as you have an eligible BMO Harris personal deposit account. You can also send a wire transfer from a BMO branch, though wire transfer fees may apply.
- How can I transfer funds from my BMO Harris account to my BMO U.S. Dollar Account?As a BMO Private Banking or BMO Nesbitt Burns client, you can transfer funds at no additional charge through BMO Canada Wire – a tab that you’ll find in BMO Harris Online Banking. Your Wealth Professional can change your profile to enable the cross-border transfer option.
Once your profile has been updated, you’ll find the BMO Canada Wire option under the Transfer tab.
Another way to transfer funds is to set up a Wire Transfer Agreement at a BMO Harris branch or through the mail. Once the agreement is set up, you’ll be able to transfer funds from the U.S. to Canada by phone.
- How do I access funds from my Canadian BMO U.S. Dollar Account in the U.S.?A. You can’t withdraw funds directly from your BMO U.S. Dollar Account at a U.S. ATM or BMO Harris branch. To access funds, you need to transfer them to a BMO Harris personal chequing account. Then you can withdraw funds from your BMO Harris U.S. account at one of over 40,000 ATMs in the U.S.
- How do I deposit a U.S. dollar cheque in the U.S.?To deposit a U.S. dollar cheque in the U.S. you need a BMO Harris personal chequing account. You can deposit your cheque at any BMO Harris branch or BMO Harris ATM that accepts deposits. You can also use BMO Harris Mobile Banking® to deposit your cheque.
- Can I deposit a Canadian dollar cheque into my BMO Harris account while I’m in the U.S.?Yes. You can visit a BMO Harris Bank branch and make the deposit in-person. Foreign currency exchange rates will apply.
- Which BMO Harris personal chequing account is the best option for Canadians?BMO Harris SmartAdvantageTM Account is a very popular account with Canadians because it has no monthly fees when you choose eStatements5 and no minimum balance11. However, another account might be more suited to your needs. Speak to your Canadian BMO Private Banking or BMO Nesbitt Burns Wealth Professional who can help you select the right account for your needs.
- How do I pay U.S. bills?To pay U.S. bills you need a BMO Harris personal chequing account. You can pay bills online or through BMO Harris Mobile Banking7. You can’t pay U.S. bills from a BMO Bank of Montreal U.S. Dollar Account.
- Do I need a U.S. address to pay U.S. bills using BMO Harris Bill Pay?No, however, the company who is billing you needs to have a U.S. address.
- Can I pay my Canadian bills from my U.S. BMO Harris account or my U.S. bills from my Canadian BMO account?No. Canadian-based bills must be paid from a Canadian-based account, and U.S.-based bills must be paid from a U.S.-based account. Both of these options are available outside of the country through telephone or online banking.
- Can I get overdraft protection on BMO Harris personal chequing accounts?Yes, eligible clients can apply for overdraft protection on a BMO Harris personal chequing account.
- Can I use Allpoint® ATMs to deposit cheques or cash?Currently, the 40,000+ Allpoint® ATMs in the U.S. can be used for cash withdrawals only.
- Is there a fee for using Allpoint® ATMs?Allpoint® ATMs are fee-free if you are have a BMO Private Banking Bank Plan or a BMO Harris account. If you do not have a BMO Private Banking Bank Plan or a BMO Harris account you may be charged a fee. If you do have a BMO Private Banking Bank Plan and are charged a fee at an Allpoint ATM, please contact your Wealth Professional to have the fee reversed.
- How do I use my BMO debit card with a U.S. merchant when a zip code is required (e.g. at a gas station)?Where possible, the Canadian customers should enter the numeric portions of the postal code and fill the remaining spaces with zeroes to make up five digits. For example, if the Canadian postal code is M3L 2H6 the customer should enter 32600.
BMO Private Banking is part of BMO Wealth Management and is a brand name under which banking services are offered through Bank of Montreal, investment management services are offered through BMO Private Investment Counsel Inc., a wholly-owned indirect subsidiary of Bank of Montreal, and estate, trust, planning and custodial services are offered through BMO Trust Company, a wholly owned subsidiary of Bank of Montreal.
BMO Nesbitt Burns Inc. provides comprehensive investment services and is a wholly owned subsidiary of Bank of Montreal. If you are already a client of BMO Nesbitt Burns Inc., please contact your Investment Advisor for more information.® “Nesbitt Burns” is a registered trade-mark of BMO Nesbitt Burns Inc®.
®"BMO (M-bar roundel symbol)" is a registered trade-mark of Bank of Montreal, used under license. If you are already a client of BMO Nesbitt Burns, please contact your Investment Advisor for more information.
Mastercard is a registered trademark, and the circles design is a trademark of Mastercard International Incorporated.
Not all products and services are available in every state and/or location. BMO Harris does not provide mortgages in New York State. BMO Harris provides mortgages in Texas but does not provide refinancing.
In the U.S., banking products and services are subject to bank and credit approval and are provided by: BMO Harris Bank N.A. Member FDIC.