Management’s Discussion and Analysis
Enterprise-Wide Risk Management
As a diversified financial services company providing banking, wealth management, capital market and insurance services, we are exposed to a variety of risks that are inherent in our business activities. A disciplined and integrated approach to managing risk is fundamental to the success of our operations. Our risk management framework provides independent risk oversight across the enterprise and is essential to building competitive advantage.
Chief Risk Officer
BMO Financial Group (1)
Strengths and Value Drivers
- Disciplined approach to risk-taking.
- Comprehensive and consistent risk frameworks.
- Risk appetite and metrics integrated into strategic planning and the ongoing management of businesses and risks.
- Sustained focus on continuous improvement to drive consistency, effectiveness, and efficiency in the management of risk.
- Make our processes simple and accelerate our delivery times to match the increasing pace of business.
- Continue to develop technology and analytics that underpin our risk processes, risk assessment and monitoring, and our cyber and anti-money laundering defences.
- Focus on our people and how we work together to enhance our culture.
(1) Surjit Rajpal will retire at the end of January 2019. Patrick Cronin, previously Group Head, BMO Capital Markets, was appointed Chief Risk Officer, BMO Financial Group, effective November 1, 2018.