Management’s Discussion and Analysis
U.S. Personal and
We help more than two million customers by providing a banking experience with a human touch – delivering a broad range of financial services. Our commercial bank provides a combination of sector expertise, local knowledge, and a breadth of products and services as a trusted partner to our clients. We serve our personal and business banking customers seamlessly across our extensive network of more than 560 branches, our dedicated contact centres, our digital banking platforms, and nationwide access to more than 43,000 automated teller machines.
Lines of Business
Personal and Business Banking offers a variety of products and services, including deposits, home lending, consumer credit, business lending, credit cards, and other banking services. Our goal in everything we do is to help our customers make sense of complexity, make better choices in saving, investing, and borrowing, and have confidence in their decisions.
Commercial Banking provides clients with a broad range of banking products and services, including multiple financing options and treasury solutions, as well as risk management products. We believe in partnering with our clients, anticipating their financial needs and sharing our expertise and knowledge to help them grow their businesses.
Strengths and Value Drivers
- Rich Midwestern heritage dating back to 1847, with a long-standing commitment to the success of our customers and the communities in which our employees work and live.
- Talented and experienced team that understands our customers and knows how to compete and perform well in our markets.
- Large-scale, diversified national commercial business, centred in the U.S. Midwest and supported by in-depth industry knowledge, best-in-class customer experience, and top-tier market share in our flagship businesses.
- Increasing momentum for continued growth in personal banking, driven by a large and growing customer base, our extensive branch network, a broad suite of products and services and accelerated investment in digital capabilities.
- Comprehensive and integrated control structure that supports the active management of risk and regulatory compliance.
Strategy and Key Priorities
We aim to grow our business and be a leader in our markets by creating a differentiated and intuitive partnership with our customers to address all of their financial needs.
Deliver a great experience for our customers and employees
- Ranked second among the 40 leading banks in the 2018 Survey of Bank Reputations by American Banker, which assesses financial institutions for their governance, products and services, and innovation
- Community Reinvestment Act performance that was rated Outstanding by the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, recognizing our commitment to help support low and moderate-income communities
- Named to the 2017 list of America’s Top Corporations for Women’s Business Enterprises by the Women’s Business Enterprise National Council, reflecting our commitment to creating a level playing field for women-owned businesses
- Maintained robust customer growth, continuing to lead in household acquisition for retail deposits and building momentum across commercial segments
- Further improved customer loyalty as measured by Net Promoter Score across all businesses
- Reinforced our second-place ranking in deposit market share in our core Chicago and Wisconsin markets and our top-five ranking across our Midwest footprint
Continue to strengthen our competitive position by investing in key capabilities, such as digital and talent, while leveraging our distinctive cross-border advantage and differentiated “One Bank” value proposition to deliver a great customer experience
In Personal and Business Banking, accelerate digitization and guidance delivery, drive deposit growth, build a flagship franchise in business banking, and optimize our lending portfolio
- Enhanced our digital capabilities with new online banking features, including the ability to open accounts digitally, and enhanced branch infrastructure, including instant debit card and in-branch Wi-Fi
- Continued to enhance our deposit product suite with a new Platinum Money Market™ product, designed to help our customers grow their savings while also maintaining the convenience of liquidity
- Opened our 12th Smart Branch over the past three years, bringing together high-tech convenience and personalized services to offer customers a new and engaging environment
- Launched the second annual BMO Harris/1871 Innovation Program to continue to engage with and mentor early-stage fintech startups across Chicagoland and Wisconsin
Deliver leading deposit growth, build a business banking franchise, drive profitable growth in lending and accelerate digitization and guidance delivery
In Commercial Banking, accelerate growth in high-potential geographies, invest in specialty businesses and high-growth sectors, and deepen deposit capture and share of wallet
- Continued to grow our geographic footprint, with expansion of our coverage in Dallas, Texas and Columbus, Ohio and investment to build out our presence in the Southeast (Atlanta)
- Developed and launched new sales initiatives and products, including variable rate and term certificates of deposit and increased emphasis on select sectors, as part of a new deposit growth strategy
- Added to our offering in specialty sectors, including expansion of asset-based lending to cover more industries and geographies and the launch of unitranche financing in sponsor finance, to further reinforce our market position and value proposition
- Launched new digital capabilities, such as eSign, to enhance the customer experience in onboarding with our treasury and payment solutions
Invest in underpenetrated markets, expand national presence in high-potential geographies, establish new specialty businesses, increase investment in treasury and payment solutions, and enhance cross-bank collaboration
This U.S. P&C Banking section contains forward-looking statements. Please see the Caution Regarding Forward-Looking Statements.