Trust and Estate Services
Now that you have built your wealth, you want to safeguard your prosperity for the future. Generations of Canadians have relied on BMO Private Banking, through BMO Trust Company, to guide their families in the preservation and transfer of their assets. An effective trust and estate plan expresses your deeply held values and priorities – what's important to you. You want the assurance that:
- your loved ones will be protected
- your wishes will be carried out
- the transfer to your heirs will be smooth and orderly
Allow us to look after your interests as you pass on your wealth to your family members, generations to come and to the causes you hold dear.
Trust and Estate services cover a range of solutions:
- Estate administration
- Executor assistance
- Trustee services
- Investment administration and custodial services
- Retirement compensation arrangements
Based on your needs and objectives, you can choose how you want to work with us.
- BMO Private Banking offers comprehensive will and estate planning services to clients who wish to appoint BMO Trust Company as executor of their estate.
- You can appoint BMO Trust Company as your co-executor, along with someone who knows you well and understands how you want your wishes carried out.
- Our Agent for Executor service provides assistance to estate executors in carrying out their administrative duties, which is particularly useful for executors who live far from the estate they're responsible for.
When it comes to administering an estate, retaining the assistance of a trust company is a practical, cost-effective option. We can also assume direct responsibility for managing your assets in trust for your beneficiaries. BMO Trust Company provides professional services and administration of personal trusts, including acting as trustee of trusts set up during your lifetime or under the provisions of your will.
- A Corporate Executor provides you with peace of mind knowing that your estate will be settled efficiently, impartially and with the highest level of confidentiality.
- Settling an estate can be complicated and require knowledge of tax, inheritance and family property laws. We have an experienced team of professionals that specialize in estate administration.
Engage your current advisors and contact us.
- If you've been named as an Executor, you may need help with the over 70 separate tasks that an Executor must complete.
How do we work with you?
Our goal is to work with you to make the overwhelming manageable. Once BMO Trust Company has been appointed as executor or trustee, a dedicated trust and estate professional will become your single point of contact. Your trust and estate professional will:
- provide ongoing reporting and communication to the beneficiaries
- manage the complexities of the fiduciary role, ensuring that the instructions in the legal documents are adhered to in keeping with legislative requirements
- work with our team of specialists with the best interests of the beneficiaries in mind
- work with our team of specialists to provide customized solutions that may include tax-efficient investment strategies or ways to receive income