Diversity and Inclusion
At BMO we are unflinching in our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
We are proud to create an environment where all of our people can succeed. We are committed to workforce diversity and workplace inclusion and we know that this differentiates us as a leading employer-of-choice. We know that with leadership comes responsibility.
We engage our people in aligning business goals that are both diverse and inclusive. We remove barriers and strengthen the diversity of our leadership. And we align our diversity and inclusion efforts with our business strategy, in a way that enables BMO to capitalize on the strengths and perspectives of all of our people and become the bank that defines great customer experience.
Who we are and what we stand for is clear.
We are a top-performing organization that enables our people to build unique relationships with each other and our customers. It’s no coincidence, it’s by design. Diversity and learning from our differences is one of our core corporate values, and those values help us pursue our vision: to be the bank that defines great customer experience. We understand what our customers want because our employees reflect the communities where we work and live.
We made a strategic commitment to diversity and inclusion that has positioned BMO as a thought leader, an innovator and a widely-recognized employer of choice. BMO is committed to harnessing the power of all our professionals to create an inclusive culture that is a role model for our people, our shareholders, our customers and our communities. We believe that everyone is responsible for creating an inclusive culture. We have a network of thousands of people who are committed to grassroots change and transformation and we take care to both utilize employee insights and engage BMO leaders in creating a diverse and inclusive culture.
Our commitment has steadily transformed BMO’s senior leadership ranks, talent pipeline and organizational culture. By setting clear goals, taking advantage of very strong leadership commitment, breaking down barriers and enabling our people to make change, we are proud of our workforce diversity and workplace inclusion. Going forward we will focus our efforts to significantly increase the number of Aboriginal people and People with Disabilities to more accurately reflect the communities we serve.
We have a compelling story to tell and we are proud of the goals we have achieved and the external recognition we have received including:
- 40% of senior leadership roles are held by women
- More than 1/3 of Board roles are held by women
- More than 26% of senior roles are held by Minorities or Persons of Colour
- Bloomberg recognized BMO as one of the top ranked Financial Institutions for gender equality
- BMO was recognized as one of the best places to work for LGBT Employees by The Human Rights Campaign Foundation
- Recognized as one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers
- Our employees rated BMO’s commitment to inclusion in the highest category as a leading company
Learn more about BMO
We are proud to highlight our brand, culture and values and to tell BMO’s compelling story. BMO is the bank that is leading the way when it comes to building employee engagement, loyalty and growth. We are proud that external organizations recognize that BMO is leading the way when it comes to building employee engagement, loyalty and growth. Recent external recognition includes:
- Darrel Hackett named to list of Most Influential Blacks in Corporate America
- BMO Named One of the 2018 World's Most Ethical Companies by the Ethisphere Institute
- BMO honoured with a Spirit Award for employee engagement
- BMO Financial Group Named to Bloomberg's Gender-Equality Index for Third Year in a Row
- BMO Is Among Canada's Most Admired Corporate Cultures
- BMO Executives Among WXN Canada’s Top 100 Most Powerful Women
- BMO Named One of the Most Diverse & Inclusive Companies in the World
- BMO Financial Group Recognized as a 2017 Great Place to Work®
- BMO Financial Group Wins 2017 Gender Equality Award
- BMO Financial Group Wins 2017 Catalyst Award
- BMO Financial Group Recognized in Bloomberg Financial Services Gender-Equality Index