Trip Protection (Single Trip)
Some things you can't plan for. An unexpected death in the family. An illness affecting you or someone you're travelling with. Delayed flights and lost luggage. Trip Protection insurance can help you cover the cost associated with these unanticipated expenses that disrupt your travel plans.
Don't get tripped up by delays
This insurance provides coverage to assist you before and during a trip, should unexpected travel problems occur.:
- Trip interruption/Trip Delay Benefits (post departure) – If an unexpected death in the family, illness affecting you or your travelling companion, or other specific unexpected circumstances occur that cause you to interrupt or delay your trip, you will be reimbursed for the extra cost of one-way economy airfare to your departure point or to the destination point and any unused non-refundable land arrangements up to a maximum of $2,000 per insured person.
- Flight Delay Benefits – Flight Delay benefits are payable in the event of a delay of more than six hours in the arrival or departure of your regularly scheduled airline flight. You will be reimbursed up to $500 per trip for reasonable, additional accommodation and traveling expenses incurred by you as a result of the delay.
- Baggage and Personal Effects Benefits – You are covered for the actual cash value of baggage and personal effects that are lost, damaged or stolen up to a total loss of $750 per insured person up to a maximum amount of $2,000 per trip. You will be reimbursed up to $200 for the purchase of essential items required as a result of your checked baggage being delayed by the carrier for 12 hours or more during the trip.
- Trip Cancellation* (Additional optional coverage prior to departure) Trip cancellation benefits are payable in the event of an unexpected death in the family, illness affecting you or your travelling companion, or other specific unexpected circumstances that occur prior to your planned departure. You will be reimbursed for the prepaid portion of your trip that is non-refundable and/or non-transferable to another travel date up to an overall maximum of $20,000.
* This optional benefit can only be purchased by calling BMO Travel Insurance (Allianz Global Assisstance Operations Centre) at 1-800-661-9060.
Get more than you expect with Trip Protection
- Travel Assistance Services Prior to and during your trip out-of-province/country, we can provide you with Emergency Cash Transfers, Lost Document and Ticket Replacement, Lost Luggage Assistance and Pre-Trip Information including passport and visa regulations, and vaccination and inoculation requirements.
- Legal Assistance Services If you require legal assistance while travelling out-of-province/country, we can assist you
in obtaining a referral to a local legal advisor, making arrangements for the posting of bail and the payment of legal fees, to a maximum of $5,000.
You're eligible for Trip Protection insurance if you're a BMO Financial Customer and a Canadian resident, as long as you pay your premium before the day you leave on your trip.
Protection from the unexpected
With Trip Protection insurance, you're covered for any expenses you incur associated with unexpected trip interruption, including trip delays or cancellations that result from a death in the family or an illness that affects you or someone you're travelling with; flight delays of more than six hours; or the loss of your baggage or personal effects.
What's not covered
All insurance products have some limitations and exclusions you should understand in advance. For instance, this insurance product will not pay for expenses associated with:
- applicable pre-existing conditions exclusion
- the continued treatment or recurrence of a medical condition you suffer while travelling
- a medical condition for which you delayed or refused treatment before your departure date
- circumstances you were aware of when you bought this product
- surgery that is not approved before it is performed
- participation in SCUBA diving, hang-gliding, sky diving, parachuting, bungee jumping, parasailing, spelunking or rock climbing
- any trip undertaken against the advice of a physician
- any trip cancellation if you fail to notify the insurer within 48 hours of the event that caused you to cancel or interrupt your trip
You will not receive benefits for your baggage or personal effects if they are damaged as the result of:
- normal wear and tear, gradual deterioration, moths or vermin
- radiation or war, confiscation by a government authority or interception for contraband or illegal transportation or trade
- negligence or criminal acts
This product also does not insure the following items:
- automobiles (including equipment and contents), trailers, motorcycles, bicycles, boats, motors or other conveyances or accessories
- souvenirs, fragile or collectible items, consumable or perishable goods, household effects and furnishings
- contact lenses, non-prescription sunglasses, artificial teeth and prostheses, medical equipment and appliances
- money, securities, tickets, documents, business or professional property
- personal computers, software or cell phones
- furs or garments trimmed with fur, jewellery, gems, watches or camera equipment while in the custody of an airline or common carrier
To minimize loss, you should also take reasonable steps to limit damage to your property covered by this insurance. Keep in mind that this information is only a summary. You can see full details in the Certificate of insurance.
*All benefits are underwritten by Allianz Global Risks US Insurance Company Canadian Branch